What is the Diabetic Shoe Program?
The diabetic shoe program is a Medicare coverage program that allows diabetic patients to acquire diabetic shoes and orthotics. Diabetic shoes are specially designed to reduce the foot problems in diabetic patients.
Footwear covered by the Diabetic Shoe Program
Once you qualify for the diabetic shoe program, you will be eligible for one of the following options in one calendar year:
- A single pair of diabetic depth-inlay shoes and 3 pairs of shoe inserts.
- A single pair of custom-molded shoes with inserts and 2 additional pairs of shoe inserts.
Benefits of the Diabetic Shoe:
The benefits of diabetic shoe include:
- Therapeutic shoes have an extra deep insole that is specially fitted for the patient that provides extra room to accommodate changes in the foot like corns, callouses.
- Rigid shank and rocker bottom help in maintaining a normal gait.
- Orthotics can be incorporated into the shoe to reduce the pressure applied on the foot
- The shoe is light, which helps your feet move and breathe freely.